more

 Complacency is a constant battle. The last couple of days, I've been thinking about how to affects my prayer life. No. I do not pray continually. No. I do not bring everything before my father. Yes. I am negligent. Yes. I typically put selfish habits and desires before prayer.  I want more. I desire and yearn for more of God.


There are several reasons I push aside prayers. I'm afraid of sounding stupid, of what other people will think, of saying something 'inaccurate'. I'm comfortable with conversations. I'm get immediate 'satisfaction' and 'results' from venting to people. I get tired, and typically eating and sleeping comes way before praying crosses my mind. However, I'm tired of putting my fears and my comfort and my selfishness before prayer.

It is so easy to forget that our life is fleeting and just a 'breath' (Psalms 39). Here on earth, we are in a long and tiring marathon, and we are in a battle. Ephesians 6 talks about the struggle we have 'against authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms'. After describing the armor of God we can equip ourselves with, Paul ends by focusing on and emphasizing prayer.

My heart is first. I want to be seeking God, pursuing Him, becoming a prayer warrior. It starts with my coming before God as an individual... however, I don't want it to stop there. I want prayer to infiltrate every area of my life. At my work, at home, on the road, even my social life. I'm so quick to make plans and to spend time with my brothers and sisters. However, often times our fellowship consists of watching movies, playing games, sometimes talking about life or even discussing God. However, I cannot describe us as being 'all joined together constantly in prayer' (Acts 1:14). The earl church 'devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer' (Acts 2:42).

I want it to be more then just me though.

Comments

Popular Posts