two fish and five loaves of bread

Matthew 14:13-21

Jesus told the disciples, "they do not need to go away. You give them something to eat."

"We have here only five loaves of bread and two fish," they answered.

"Bring them here to me," he said. And he directed the people to sit down on the grass.

Jesus took the two fish and the five loaves of bread and turned to God, thanking Him because He is the provider and source of everything, even what we deem 'meager' or 'small' and overlook.

"The disciples gave them to the people. They all ate and were satisfied and the disciples picked up twelve basketfuls of broken pieces that were left over. The number of those who ate was about five thousand men, besides women and children."

When I'm asked to give something, my response is typically one of doubt rather then faith. 'Only' is a word I use too often. I look at what I have; my physical belongings, my knowledge, my personality, my abilities and I respond with doubt. It isn't enough, I'm not adequate, what I have can't be used.

Jesus says differently. He gently responds and tells me to "bring them here to me."


Come, lay it before me, give it up, allow me to use it.

I'm reminded I can't do it, I can't be perfect, I can't impress God. Everything I have is God's, He is my provider and 'every good and perfect gift is from above'.

"And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.

It is all through Him. He has rescued us, He has qualified us, He has strengthened us! He will multiply where He sees fit and He will work all things together. God will use it.

Do I respond in faith? Do I respond in prayer?

Comments

Popular Posts